Taxes are the way through which the government derives the money to run the country, help those who need, provide social welfare and work on several development schemes. Paying taxes is not just a legal necessity but also a duty of every citizen of the country who earns money. However, as the salaried professionals get tax deducted at source, they often end up paying more than their required quota of taxes after showing all the investments and tax savings. Similarly, the businessmen pay advance taxes in anticipation of the revenue and also occasionally pay more taxes than they should be paying for. In these situations, one has to claim Tax Refund from the government of India.
Here is a step by step guide on how to raise a tax refund request:
- Visit the website of the income tax department of India, there is a separate website for e-filing and related activities, one may access it using the below link : www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Login to the website using your credentials, while the user name is mostly the PAN number, one should keep their password handy and secure. Forgot password option may be used to retrieve password if the applicant does not remember their password.
- After the successful login, visit the personal details under the “My Account” section of the menu and then further find a link that says “ Service Request”, click on it to raise all types of Service Requests.
- This is where all the requests are available, in our case one needs to choose the category as “New Request” under the “Request Type” category and then further there will be another option called “Request Category” where we need to select on “Refund Reissue”. It is important to select the right items as otherwise the claim would not be processed.
- Click on Submit after selecting the options mentioned in the above points.
- After clicking on the “submit” button, the website opens up a form where we need to verify all the mandatory details, these details include the PAN Number, the Assessment Year or A.Y as it may be referred, choose the AY correctly as otherwise the claim would not get processed. Mention the Return Type and the Acknowledgment Number, which would be available in the document one receives after filing the taxes. Apart from these the other details visible will be the Reason the Failure of Refund, Reference Number for the Communication and the Response of Refund Failure.
- After verifying all the details in the above step, the applicant needs to click on the “Submit” button which could be found under the header of “Response”. As the website is dynamic and keeps evolving to maintain security one should adapt accordingly if there is a change in the placement of buttons and text labels. Once we click on Submit, the website displays all the pre-validated details which include the Bank Accounts with its status whether validated or not and if it is EVC enabled or not.
- In case the taxpayer does not has any pre-validated banking account highlighted, one needs to pre-validate their bank account by providing complete details of the bank account where they want the amount to be credited, these details will include the Account Number, the IFSC Code, Account Holder’s Name amongst some other details. After successfully registering the bank account one can view their Bank Account as Pre-Validated after ratification from the concerned Bank.
- The applicant needs to then select the account which is pre-validated and to which they want to amount of tax refund to be credited. After selection, click on the “Continue” button and then verify all the details as they will be fetched by the income tax website. These details will include the Bank Account Details including Name, Account Number, IFSC Code and also the Bank and Name and the account type.
- After verifying the bank details click on the “OK” button which will open up the options for e-verification, these are similar to the options one gets to see at the time of original taxi filling as well. One needs to choose the mode of e-verification that is most convenient and faster for them, it could be verification through Aadhar or verification via the net banking. After choosing the desired modem to enter the electronic verification or the Aadhar OTP to process the tax refund request.
The applicant will get a message confirming the successful filling of the tax refund request if everything is done right.
Read More: How to protect from misuse of Aadhar Card?